Act now to save the forests
Almost 20 years ago, the world's governments failed to protect our forests... Their failure has been our challenge, and millions of people around the world have been working harder to save the world's green lung.
Everybody - individuals as well as civil society, business, governmental organisations - is urged to support the Rio Forest Certification Declaration with their signature.
Join the movement!
I/we support the Rio Forest Certification Declaration and call on governments and other leaders to take their responsibilities in protecting the world's forests seriously. Rio+20 must make forests a priority, and agree on frameworks such as the Declaration to better support the work of tried and tested mechanisms such as forest certification.
- Human beings are at the centre of sustainable forest management
- Recognize and respect national sovereignty in the design and implementation of sustainable forest management policies and standards
- Protect the complexity of forest ecosystems, forest-dependent economies, and rural culture by adopting integrated forest management plans and policies
- Contribute to poverty reduction through empowerment of the poor
- Open and accessible stakeholder processes are essential
- Transparency, inclusiveness, and collaboration are fundamental prerequisites for global sustainability
- Utilize the benefits of renewable and climate-smart forest-based products
- Rely on science, local experience, and traditional forest-related knowledge to advance sustainable forest management
- Use a precautionary approach to prevent irreversible damage
- Promoting global acceptance of sustainable forest management through voluntary programmes and education is the fastest path to healthy forests and vibrant rural communities